Beautiful photo from the courtyard of the monastery “St. Nicholas “in Arbanassi

свети Никола

1 Comment

  1. kazandragmet.ru

    The Monastery of St. Nicolas lies in a small dale at the south-western end of Arbanassi. It is thought to have been founded by the family of the Assens. It was robbed and burnt down in 1393, 1717 and 1729. It was abandoned in 1744 because of an epidemic of the plague. Almost all the monks died. It was first restored in 1630. The Church and some buildings containing cells were rebuilt with funds provided by a donor, the Boyar Atanassiy, a rich Arbanassi merchant who took part in a plot to dethrone the Sultan and was killed in a battle near Soushitsa (today Karlovo). The Monastery was burnt down in 1738, and rebuilt by the local population two years later. The church was used as a parish church. A new restoration was carried out in 1838 on the initiative of the energetic Father Zotik Preobrazhenski with funds collected from the population of Veliko Turnovo, Gorna Oryahovitsa, Layskovets, Arbanassi and the surrounding villages.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge